Old 04-30-2005, 10:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
amarie

HI everyone. I haven't posted here in a long time, but I couldn't resist this one. I met my husband through the personals in the local newspaper. I had just gotten out of an abusive marriage and was very lonely, so my girlfriend talked me into putting in an ad. She said "something better is out there for you!" YEAH RIGHT! Well he answered my ad, said all the right things. We talked on the phone for 3 weeks before I finally agreed to meet him face to face. Honestly, I think I fell in love with him over the phone, not knowing he was on a binge the whole time. When I finally met him, I was so stupid that I thought he just like to drink wine. I had noticed he drank alot of it, but he never really acted drunk. Well, then we went somewhere on a Sunday and he couldn't get any wine because in New York no liquor stores were open on Sunday. He started shaking, sweating and became very ill. I was never so scared in all my life. I ended up taking him to the emergency room and then was told it was alcohol withdrawl. Well then the codie in me took over. He was in detox for 2 weeks and after that I figured I could take care of him. I would make everything okay. You know--fix things. Boy was I wrong. Why I married him was anyones guess. I knew he was an alcoholic, but I guess I still believed I could help him. We've been married almost 10 years and only the past 6 months have been better. I'm not saying he stopped drinking, but he has cut down alot and I have learned to detach and set boundaries thanks to all the wonderful people on this site. I don't know what I would have done without all of your support. I learned alot from all of you and I appreciate all of your advice.