View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Lancashire
Sober Member

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
I'm Irish. Living an expat lifestyle. I guess I don't really need to say more.
In Ireland at least half of my friends were alcoholic. Where I live now its at least half. I don't know a single person who never drinks and my wife is the only person I know who rarely drinks and when she does its one glass or less. It would be easy for your AV to convince you that you are not so bad or that this is how life is. Really its irrelevant though, right? The only thing that matters is whether YOU are living the life that you want to live and if not why not?
I agree with what you said. Except for the irrelevance. Knowing that the rational part of your brain is the part that is presenting options, excuses and get out jail free cards to resume drinking again, has helped me when I get urges and cravings as I did for the first time last night.

I was in my local supermarket and wandered into the drinks aisle. I was rationalising resuming drinking again. May be if I just drank small drinks of whisky. Maybe just a bottle of wine once a week. What about buying the wine and only drinking on a special occasion like normal people.

These thoughts were totally rational to me at the time. I came to my senses and realised what was happening and walked off without purchase. I saw the enemy and began to recognise it. This has been an invaluable too for me, but I agree not for everyone.

If we all recovered in the same way, wow wouldn't that be easy.