View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Becki67

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I know nothing about the legalities and those certainly have to be a major consideration. That being said, if you are thinking about staying because you will miss your "dream house", I say boo. Material things outside of ourselves never make us happy. Some of the most unhappy people I know have enough wealth to buy whatever they want. I once had my "dream house". I completely renovated it and imagined it be the home that we not only raised our children in, but it also would be the home that our grandchildren would come to visit. Well, the recession hit and we had to move for financial/job reasons. The real estate market had crashed and the house was worth half of what we owed on it. The house became the biggest noose around my neck. By the end of the whole affair, when we could finally sell/give it away, I absolutely hated the dam8 place. I have since lived in two other homes that I absolutely love. I realize that it was never about the home, but more about the memories, the adventure of living that took place in every home that I have ever lived in. If this is really just about the house, you will NOT regret leaving it.

I'm not thinking about staying because it's my dream house. What the responders were saying is that I shouldn't be too rash and to protect myself financially when I do leave.

I don't need him in order to take care of myself and can make a nice life for myself without taking anything from him. I might be being unfair to myself by giving him the home, but I'll be fine. I'll be considerate and kind throughout, whether he chooses to be or not. It's just the way I am. But, I'm not a doormat, don't get me wrong.

What I'm more upset about is my family acting like they are going to lose something if I leave him. That bothers me more. They should have my back and support me.