View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
giochick

6 months sober!!!

Saturday was my six month "birthday" and I am still so amazed that I have made it this far. It hasn't been easy, but I can definitely say it has been worth it. Six months ago my life was in the toilet: I had no job, no money, no friends, no self esteem, I had alienated most of the people who cared about me and I was stuck in a toxic living situation with other alcoholics. Today I have a job that I love (and that I can actually show up for and be good at because I no longer call in "sick"), I was able to save up and find an apartment of my own, I am slowly rebuilding relationships and have a support network and most importantly, I like the person that I am. I was actually visiting my family out of state for my six month date, and they all came with me to a meeting and watched as I accepted my six month chip. Having them there and feeling their support was such a powerful motivator to stay the course. Sobriety, at least for me, has been so much more than just not drinking. It's allowed me to finally start living the life I want for myself, and the ability to actually be happy. So to anyone reading this struggling, especially those in those awful, gut wrenching first few days and weeks, stick with it, it really does get better.