Old 01-02-2015, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chantal88

Location: The planet Earth, or at least that's what I've been told.
guava -

If you want more of an idea of what recovery looks like you might want to watch the TV show Addicted on Netflix.

The word "detachment" actually comes from Eastern philosophy. I hear it thrown around quite a lot, but I think everyone has a different definition for it. Originally the word meant that a person's contentment and peace was detached from what was happening around them. Meaning, a person who was truly practicing detachment, could have peace even in the midst of a war. I don't think it means not being concerned for other people, or not helping them. But it does mean being mindful of your actions and making sure that you are acting out of love and not out of a need to control, a need to be wanted or a compulsion.

If you watch the show Addicted - the host of the show actually does her homework and extensively researches rehabs and detox centers for her clients. She even develops a recovery timeline for them. Most addicts cannot realistically do this on their own. It would be like asking a schizophrenic to chose what hospital they want to go to and to determine their length of stay. They might be rational enough to know they need help, but they are too sick to determine an action plan IMO.