View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FeelingGreat
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
I will make a doctor appointment next week and I'm trying to re juggle my finances to pay off any debt, ex A gives me money every month but he can't afford to give me more as he is "skint". His new apartment is expensive as is his drinking!!
Every time you take positive action you're getting a little bit better, although you may not see it. Great that you're seeing the doctor. I don't know how it's done in the UK, but I would make a long appointment so you're not too rushed and be brutally honest. (I remember telling my doc that I'd only cried 7 times that day so I was sure I was getting better!).

Please consider talking to a lawyer asap re the finances. All history will be taken into account, but it may not be the simple split that you imagine. As a project, get as much financial information together as you can, including the history of your last separation, and summarise for the lawyer. You may have to pay for the first visit, but once you engage him/her, they will probably defer fees until a settlement is reached.

Don't buy into the myth about vengeful wives taking their husbands to the cleaner. The court has a reliable formula to split assets that takes everything into account, but a lot of men think of valuing a woman's contribution to the family as being 'ripped off'.