Old 12-30-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
Guess only someone in the medical field could explain if it's possible the accident made her have an aversion to certain food as well as alcohol.
I see what you did there . Nice.

I did mention that her neurologist hasn't a clue, or did I leave that out?

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
As a professional caregiver, I have seen a lot of drastic personality changes due to sever trauma or head injuries. However, usually they are negative effects such as nice people become mean or calm people become impatient.

One of my clients lost 50 lbs in 3 months after a head injury, but it may have been due to the meds he was taking. I have also seen others develop an aversion to alcohol after some kind of trauma along with new meds, but they were far from alcoholics to start with.

I don't doubt that it is possible for someone to become a better person after an injury. The movie "Regarding Henry" is more or less about this sort of thing.
I was friends with a guy in my neighborhood meetings who was one of the first to survive AIDS. He was a whacky dude, but a real sweetheart who put his hand out to anyone and everyone. He even took homeless drug addicts, put them up in his garage, fed them, cleaned them up, took care of them, and told me those were the people who needed the most love.

Anyhow, he went into an AIDS related coma for a few months. I thought he had passed away, but I got a call from him about a year after I heard the news of his hospitalization. To make a long story short, he had one of those not so good personality changes. He became someone who seemed almost possessed. He would interrupt in the middle of meetings, stand up and say whatever it was he felt like saying. He would be rude, disrespectful, and the part that started getting him banned from meetings was that he'd do truly insane things that people started considering a form of terrorists acts. Everyone knew he had AIDS, and for fun he'd lick a cookie or 2, and then put them back with the bunch near the coffee machine. He would greet women with big wet kisses, and talk to guys within an inch of their face. He would play bigtime on people's fear of AIDS, and do it effectively. He got banned because he was becoming a real threat to the people in the meetings, and making it difficult for some groups to function. The guy eventually moved to Florida... if anyone lives around wherever it is he moved to and goes to meetings there, I'm sure they'll know exactly who I'm talking about. I know he's still around because he popped into one of my meetings for a visit this summer. I was told he was visiting some relatives.

It's sad. He was an awesome dude, turned monster.