View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

I didn't go for the GRRRRRR BAD DOGGIE DOWN BOY approach, either. I think I understood the intention of the Beast identification though, and that was to identify the urges and thoughts of drinking now or in the future as a comfort or pleasure seeking aspect of my self, the lower aspects of myself. This was a part of me that was about to separated and rejected as being dangerous to my physical, emotional, and psychological health. I had decided it was dangerous to my future as it contravened and contradicted a new plan I had made for myself, a plan to never drink again.

Like anattaboy, I complared these urges to the feelings I had once about an old girlfriend. Our relationship had become toxic. She lied to me, she cheated on me, she stole from me, she made me feel miserable and depressed and hopeless. Hey Bingo! Just like vodka! Like my relationship with vodka, I cut it off hard and deep and clean. I would never go back to her, even for one night, no matter what. Thoughts of doing that were the understandable response of my comfort and pleasure seeking brain.

But those days were done and over. If she had come to me again, I would have opened the door, smiled to myself, and simply shut it again.

And that is the approach I took, and still take, when I get an urge to drink. I recognize it for what it is, I try to look at it clearly, and then shut the door.