View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
TroubledJoe
Stand and Be True

I've been having this debate with myself for a few weeks now. I've been sober for 14 months, never had a NA beer (except once when I was still drinking, thought I was getting a great deal on a 6 pack....should've read the label properly).

About a week ago I was on the bus home after a long shift, ending a long week in work. Fortunately, I don't get cravings all that often, but at that time the only thing I could think about was how much I wanted a cold beer. I wasn't thinking about getting drunk, just the enjoyment I'd get out of tasting that beer. I strongly considered picking up some NA beer on my way home.

I couldn't stop thinking about it. Weighing up the pros and cons. Eventually I decided to just wait out the craving. The way I see it, if you have to question it that much, just leave it. It's not worth it. Would it have lead to drinking "real" beer? I don't know, probably not at first, but there's no point risking it.

I do know a guy who has 10 years in recovery and loves the stuff, drinks it regularly and hasn't relapsed. But we're all different. What works for him doesn't necessarily work for me.

I know how to overcome cravings, I've had plenty of practise at it. It's been working for me so far so I'm going to continue doing that. Cravings only last a short while, and going down that road could lead to serious trouble.