View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

NA beer is a topic that comes up here regularly. Because of that, just about everyone already knows my opinion, but I think some misunderstand. So I continue to give it .

I think NA beer is a really bad idea for someone in early sobriety looking to replace the real thing. It's just keeping a part of the habit alive without the effect, and seems pointless. From what I've heard, most that do this eventually wind up drinking again.

That being said, once I was secure in my sobriety - I had well over a year - I would have one occasionally. It was a little freaky the first time. It kicked up some memories and because of that I didn't do it again right away, but the next time I did it, it didn't phase me at all. I actually like the taste, and enjoy one once in a while, so I don't hold back. In 30 years of sobriety I can count the times I drank 2 on a single evening on one hand, and if I buy a 6 pack it can sit in my refrigerator for months. It doesn't speak to me, it doesn't kick up any urges, it's no different to me than a pepsi - except that I like the taste more.

NA beer DOES have a percentage of alcohol in it, but it has no more alcohol than 7up, and certain juices. It has the amount written on the label only because it's labeled as NA. If OJ or 7up labeled itself as NA they would have to include the alcohol content on their label too. Silly laws, but they are what they are.

And before someone says it, if they haven't already while I've been typing this - if they believe 'non alcoholic beers are for non alcoholics' - then I would have to add that it would only stand to reason that alcoholic beers are for alcoholics. That expression annoys the crap out of me, so I thought I'd hopefully beat anyone to the punch .

Despite all that, I'd strongly advise against it until you're sober long enough to make an experienced and educated decision on whether or not you want to play around like that. I feel I took a gamble and got lucky. Others haven't had the same luck.