Thread: My green thumb
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

My green thumb

I've been gardening for a long time. I didn't always do the best job, though. For years I didn't give my plants the proper care - I didn't water them very much. Then the weeds took over. As time went on, the flowers faded. Then the stems on my once healthy plants grew hard and brittle. The leaves turned brown. Finally, every last plant in my garden was dead.

One day I walked out my back door in a panic. I saw yellow grass, garbage, and brown leaves everywhere. What had I done? I raced to patch up my mistakes as quickly as I could. I poured every drop of water I had on that garden, and hoped those dead plants would come back to life. It didn't work, and I was devastated. I almost didn't want to even try to garden ever again. I was ashamed and embarrassed at how empty my back yard had become.

But I didn't give up. I realized I needed to start from scratch. Dig up those plants by the roots, and try again. After tilling the soil for a year, I was able to plant some new seeds. I remember those first green sprouts coming up - it was so nice just to get some kind of affirmation that I was doing something right for a change! As year 2 passed, I noticed some sturdy branches and long stems developing. A sign of strong roots.

I've got a new system in place that I think will produce healthy fruits, strong vines, and gorgeous flowers. It's working so far. Starting from scratch and changing my approach really worked for me. I'll have the best garden on the block in no time. Heck, I even lend my shovel to a neighbor in need from time to time.

I hope you all do the same. Start fresh out there. Dig deep and work with a solid foundation. A healthy, full and meaningful life grows back faster than you think.