Thread: Very Confused
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
flagbabe83

Very Confused

So I am coming to this site for hopes that I will get some advice and clear my head. I have been with my husband for almost 10 years, married 4 and a 2 year old daughter. I met him in college and he was a regular drinker, no more than the average college student. No red flags at the time. When I moved in with him, he would drink more than I thought he should but I was raised in a house without any alcohol so I wasn't sure if I was exaggerating. He got a DUI 5 years ago and cut back his drinking drastically.

He makes sure that he doesn't drink and drive at all. He'll go to his friend's house and only have two beers and then drink water for a few hours before he drives. The problem is that he drinks every night, 2 glasses of vodka and juice. These are strong drinks, I'd guess at least two shots in them. He doesn't get drunk from them but on occasion (about 5-8 times year) will get drunk because he is depressed or having a bad day. So while he is not being disruptive, abusive, or mean, he still has alcohol EVERY DAY. He will often smell like alcohol in his sweat, the next day. I feel like he's self medicating because he is stressed about his job (he's a bartender and HATES it), has anxiety that he's being treated for, and the usual stress that comes from life, marriage, and a toddler.

His mother is an alcoholic who has been sober for 7 years and participating in AA. She is concerned for him but is only hearing my side of the story. When I approached him about this and wanted him to quit, he said that I was overreacting and that its normal to have a few drinks each day. He did admit that he should cut back and he told me that he'd cut back to only drinking on the weekend. BUT he has yet to do that. He claims that he can't just stop cold turkey and he has successfully cut back to one drink a night for 10 days. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it. I don't think he's sneaking any. I've asked him if he thinks about drinking and he told me know. He thinks that I'm just being dramatic (which I can be at times).

My gut says that he has a problem. I don't know if I'm being biased because I've lived with an alcoholic before and my mother is the child of an alcoholic. I am going to a therapist starting on Saturday which will hopefully give me some relief and answers.

Any opinions would be great!