View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

here's the reader's digest version of my story;

ten years went past where you are now.... along the way, DUIs and divorces and periods of 'moderation' but always interspersed with binges and periods of excess that took a toll on my life in many ways.

Finally all came to a head in binge drinking that was beyond any kind of my 'control'. Binges that I hadn't wanted, and even tried to fight the urge but watched in horror as something in me just said "SCREW IT" and did it anyway...

Finally got to a point that I was tired of it, tired of being tired, scared of it, at risk of losing the things in my life most important to me.... and decided I wanted to change.

Through AA, working the steps, SR almost-daily, changing my habits, going to counseling, getting honest with myself and active recovery.... managed to move away from "I have to quit drinking" to a place of "I cherish sobriety".... Life is Good. I don't always feel great, I don't always find myself free of desire to drink, but I always hold present the value and goodness and joy I've found in sobriety and that carries me through the tougher times where before I'd have buried myself in a bottle.

It's not always been easy but nearly a year later it's always been worth it.... and I am finding life is a beautiful thing and I am growing and evolving and loving and cherishing and all of those things are things that are impaired by alcohol, not facilitated by alcohol.

You can too!!!