Thread: Primary purpose
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RedCasey

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
I recall a few years a back a woman from a 12-step program regarding food asked if she could share. She was told yes and went on about eating an entire cake or pizza or something like that the pervious night.

It was weird because while she was obviously as distraught as any AA member who had slipped I couldn't identify with her.

But then I've never had an issue with over-eating.
Last month when our AA group celebrated sobriety birthdays someone brought a plate of cupcakes which prompted an angry diatribe by an overzealous Overeaters Anonymous. As an alcoholic I was amused because even though alcohol ruined my life I still don't hate alcohol itself 1/10th of the amount that lady hated cupcakes.

On a more serious note that is why I try to focus on the solution when sharing in meetings. In my opinion everyone can relate to the solution no matter what their addiction is. Why would I want to hold onto something bad until the next meeting when I could 10th step it over the phone (or more often text) with another alcoholic/addict or talk to my sponsor about it?

I would rather hear someone with a different addiction than my own talk about the solution than hear someone with my same addiction complaining about their pet dying / their probation officer / their kids etc etc