Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Clementina

Hi Findingtheway,

Congrats on 80 days!

Here's another bargain. If you don't drink tomorrow, I won't either. Let's stay sober together. Deal?

It's amazing how continued sobriety can make the bad memories fade, and then the dangers of relapse rise. It becomes easier to romanticize the drug/alcohol and only remember the good.
The bad memories are somewhat forgotten, because while using the substance our memory-forming capacities are impaired.
And the "good" (euphoria, or whatever) is remembered thanks to the pleasure-reward systems of the brain.

That combination is DANGEROUS!

I'm feeling this already at 3 weeks. And at 50 days (the longest I went, this past summer) that feeling led me to relapse. (Not this time, AV.)

It happens with other substances, too. "Oh, how much could one little cigarette/pill/hit hurt?" says the AV. Turns out, it hurts a LOT.

Maybe make a list of all the negative consequences of your previous drinking. (The way you played the tape through was really good!!!)

Be careful not to romanticize booze.

Just stay busy, stay active, stay hydrated, drink some coffee/tea, stick around here, and stay sober. You sound strong so I know you will