View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Stung.....I do believe that it is very important to allow others the satisfaction that they derive from nurturing their loved ones and fellow humans. Not to sully their good feeling.
It is just as valuable to accept necessary help with graciousness and gratitude.
This can be done by the tone of voice and a sincere "Thank You".

Just as we want to be appreciated when we are doing for others.

I think this is how we "see" others and how they "see" us. More of a spiritual thing.

This lesson was driven home for me a very long time ago by my dear Grandma. I had been visiting her on leave from college. She really didn't have any money to speak of.
I had been raised by her in my early years and loved her soo dearly. I tried to do as much for her and give h er as much as I possibly could.
As I was leaving..she gave me a package of stockings...saying "Here, honey, you mght need these at school". I replied "No..that's o.k....keep them for yourself..you probably need them more than me". She got tears in her eyes and said "why won't you let me give you anything?".
OMG....that hit me like a ton of bricks. I saw how important it was for her to be able to give to me. I said (with tears spilling from my eyes) "OH, Grandma...you are so right...I really do need them! Thank you Grandma! I then hugged her real tight with tears and snot flowing. I have never forgotten that moment and that lesson...through all these years.

Stung...I am just offering this story to you for thought. It actually might be insensitive and selfish not to accept the gifts of others. (though we may not be conscious of it at all).

dandylion