View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ultramarathoner

Below was my first post (8/15/14). I joined to answer a specefic question of yours. I continue to wish you the courage to allow yourself be well.

While I don't take an Antipsychotic I’m familiar with the class of medication and I'm so glad you are choosing to see a doctor.

I applaud your courage in admitting to the voices and hope to put in perspective any stigma you may feel.

If one’s cholesterol is high- they go on cholesterol lowering medication. If one has difficulty processing sugar- they go on insulin.

Unfortunately the majority of society is not at the point where an ‘irregularity’ in the brain is accepted as readily as an ‘irregularity’ of the body.

To be clear- I'm not a doctor and will speak in general terms about auditory hallucinations and their treatment. And to be clear- you are not ‘crazy’. If you want a label- consider yourself “Dopamine Challenged” .

It is believed that auditory hallucinations are the result of an excess of a chemical called Dopamine in the brain. An antipsychotics’ purpose- quite simply- is to reduce the amount of Dopamine in one’s brain.

While antipsychotics and insulin work differently, their purposes are similar. Both products are introduced to the body to help it regulate itself. Try not to buy into the stigma over taking medications to resolve sympoms in the the brain rather than in the body.

Congratulations again on your resolution to further take care of yourself.