Thread: Control
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
lillamy

IMO, cultural differences come into play here as well. I have never read anything I find too offensive, sarcastic yes, offensive no. There was an interview with Chris Christie (NJ governor) where the reporter asked him about his tough non-nonsense approach would play out in the midwest US. He didn't think there would be a problem, but many many political folks on a panel said that he would never be well-received in the midwest and parts of the south because of he is "rude." Folks in those places would not like his personality. NJ folks seem to love him and like his directness. It works for them, but others in different cultural areas find him offensive, go figure. You can't please all the people all the time.
I hadn't thought of it that way, MissFixIt, but I think that's a really good point. I have a job that has had a revolving door for the past five years. I was hired based on my personality, not my skills. The earlier (waaaaay more highly qualified people) who have held the job were all from the East Coast and very high-intensity energizer bunny kind of people. And they sort of alienated the people here that are the bulk of our clients. The locals called them "pushy" and "irritating" -- whereas I, being pretty slow and laid-back, listening more than I talk... my personality just seems to "fit" better with the culture of people we work with. Even though I don't have the formal education for the job. When I lived back east, it was the opposite -- I was always chastised for not being "engaging" and "lively" enough.

I guess that's another reason the Internet is amazing. We have people here from all over the world, so if I don't "get" or relate to the communication of one SR member, I can always ignore them and listen to someone I do understand.