Thread: Control
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
MissFixit

IMO, cultural differences come into play here as well. I have never read anything I find too offensive, sarcastic yes, offensive no. There was an interview with Chris Christie (NJ governor) where the reporter asked him about his tough non-nonsense approach would play out in the midwest US. He didn't think there would be a problem, but many many political folks on a panel said that he would never be well-received in the midwest and parts of the south because of he is "rude." Folks in those places would not like his personality. NJ folks seem to love him and like his directness. It works for them, but others in different cultural areas find him offensive, go figure. You can't please all the people all the time.

Sometimes when someone is being direct it might come across as rude or controlling. It is not necessarily meant that way (at least to me). I am a "matter-of-fact" kinda gal and I prefer to both receive and give information that way. A spade is a spade. When folks are new sometimes there is A LOT of magical thinking/illogical/irrational stuff. I found it helpful to be called out on things when I was new (even though I did not like it). I have seen several folks posting over the past year who have made great strides moving from magical thinking into a more realistic place. Some of those folks were also mad at times early on (I remember a few), but they evolved and now are helping newbies and old timers with their seasoned perspectives. I find that remarkable and feel proud to have helped "pay it forward" as was done with me.