Old 12-16-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Croissant... I've thought about this, the life or death situation. I've wondered myself if I'd drink if faced with a terminal illness, imminent death, or if faced with the death of my husband, or dogs. I really don't know what I'll do. I'd like to think that I wouldn't, but until I'm in that situation, it's hard to speculate.

My one argument against drinking in that situation: I'd now prefer to be aware of reality. I think, now that I'm nearing the two year milestone, that I have an appreciation of life, with it's suffering and struggle, in a way I hadn't before. I was somewhat naive to "life" in general before. I'm not exactly sure why that is, as I wasn't raised in luxury, and I've had to struggle to survive some dysfunction in my family, and go after a college education and some other things that weren't handed to me. So... I'm not sure why I had such an idealistic and hopeful view of life as a young adult.

Now that I've tasted a bit of life's bitterness, I think I appreciate the goodness and the peace more than I ever did. And I don't want to upset the "balance" of things anymore. It's so hard for me to bounce back and recover from things that many people seem to just spontaneously recover from. It sends me reeling.

So maybe that is what keeps me sober? There is a delicate balance, and I'd rather not upset it.

As far as putting one's life in danger while drinking... yes, of course that's a good argument against it. But those are often easily justified when we are in the process of drinking. I certainly wasn't aware all the times I put myself in grave danger. I was so lucky, so many times.

Another argument against it: Better not, than to... if in doubt Hold off for another day, and see how you feel about it tomorrow.