Thread: Control
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Yes, I stepped away from a couple of threads because I wouldn't say it was "triggering" me (actually, I hate that phrase), but it certainly was bringing me to a point of frustration.

There is a balance, I think, that must be struck. I think we owe it to each other to be honest, and not to encourage or give our approval to harmful actions. And some things just ARE dangerous or harmful. At the same time, once I've said it a few times and it is being flat-out rejected (as opposed to someone working to come to terms with something), there's a point where I need to detach, for EVERYONE's sake (mine, the post-er I'm frustrated with, and the rest of the group).

I also think it's important for people to understand that we all are coming from our own experiences. And sometimes something that initially doesn't seem to make sense is worth keeping an open mind about.

That's the value of a forum--the give-and-take. If you have your mind made up, and nothing will shake it, then don't muse about it or ask other people's opinions about it. If you don't agree with something, though, don't say what you don't believe for the sake of making someone feel better. Open minds and basic consideration of other people and their right to live their own lives go a long way around here in terms of making it a safe and helpful place.