Old 12-16-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
shil2587

supportive comments that don't cross the line?

So, he relapsed again.

He applied for his first job in two years after working on his recovery (which has had some slips along the way). He was offered a full time promotion instead as manager with truly awful hours (12 hours, 6 days a week with only 1 hour break). It was way too much and being tired, stressed and anxious about failing, he started drinking in the last few days. He's drinking much less than his last relapse and he's drinking beer not vodka, which is a first and although not OK, less dangerous and easier to withdraw from. So I am not fretting ATM.

Now, he quit his job in order to go back to meetings and is putting things in place to help him stop. We won't see each other until he has, that's always been our boundary.

However, we like to exchange a text a day so I know he is alive and kkicking and he is reminded that there is actually now someone who gives a damn whether he stops or not. It's a system that works for both of us and helps us keep our own heads straight but on separate sides of the street.

My question is this what can one say that is encouraging, shows you care but at the same time doesn't come across like advice.

For example, I sent one that simply said 'looking forward to getting you back, please don't take too long about it! Love you.'

Do you think that too close to the line? I need ideas as I am running out!

What would you do?