View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
markz

Originally Posted by Linz View Post
I've made it to the first step dozens of times. In fact, every single time I have woken up with a hangover, I "work" the first step. My question is about the second step. If my higher power can restore me to sanity, why would "he" let me dabble in the insanity for so long?
I'm not necessarily a religious person, but I do believe in a God (of my understanding.)
Anyhow, a pretty simple question, so there has got to be a pretty simple answer, right?

Thanks all!
So you understand the disease concept in step one. Great. Its just a conclusion in your mind, an information step, not a life story!

Step 2, is just a willingness to believe in something other then yourself. You do not have to believe in anything at this point, the belief comes later on after you work the steps. Step 2 - This is what Ebby Thatcher brought to AA, Ebby was Bill Wilsons best friend. He was apart of the Oxford Group or Washingtonians, and while around the dinner table at Bills house, talking while Bill was drinking, Ebby more then likely got tired of talking to drunken bill on religious matters, and bam there is where the idea of step 2 went from religious to spiritual.

Step 1 - We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable. - Its more then what is written here, there are 40-odd pages out of just over a 100 pages on step 1. Its impossible to deduce step 1 into one line. Obsession of the mind, Allergy of the body, phenomenon of craving (how cravings get stronger and stronger after the first gulp of booze)

Step 2 - Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. - Willingness to believe in something other then myself, is all to make a beginning.

Step 3 - Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him. Make a decision to go on with the rest of the steps. A decision without action is just a thought. We alcoholics have imaginative thoughts, often no action. To turn our thoughts and actions over to a god of our own understanding. The step 3 prayer, on our knees was very powerful to me. When I did it decades ago, I felt some relief.

These first three steps involve no action, they are conclusions in our mind.
Step 4 is the start of action where we put pen to paper. Many people shy away from this part, even more shy away from step 5. I see it in Big Book studies I do, where we would have 40 attendees, then by step 4 and 5, half the room doesnt show. Its happened the same way, 20 times now.