View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I'm thinking about bobs story where he went about telling the people he feared what his problem had been. In all my amends, especially the personal ones, there was not a single one that did not know what my problem was, nor was there a single one interested in talking to me until they became aware that I had been making a strenuous effort to mend my ways.

A one off contact or message that gave no indication that I had recognised my problem and was doing something about it would not have received a reply. Why would they want to renew contact with the old me?

With some, an ex girlfriend in particular, the approach had to be made through a third party, and her terms for a meeting which involved her entire family being present, had to be met. Remembering I had agreed to go to any lengths to find a spiritual experience.

Your sponsor is more familiar with the situation than we are, and I would hesitate to contradict their advice. Perhaps your friend is also in contact with others in your circle. Maybe there is someone who can act as an intermediary, themselves being convinced of your changed ways. Perhaps it will take time before the pieces will fall into place. But it would be wise to keep this person on your list and remain willing to make amends should the opportunity arise.