Old 12-13-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Seren
Forum Leader

Good morning, Justbreathe!

Congratulations on your 40 plus days!!!!!! That really is fantastic news and worth celebrating

Most of us are worried, fearful, and anxious over our loved ones when they drink. I'm glad that when your family expressed these concerns to you, that it was your turning point and the catalyst for your recovery.

The overwhelming reality and sadness for most of us, however, is that our fears and our concerns over the health of our alcoholic loved ones has made absolutely no difference in their drinking behavior.

My husband and I love his son very much. He is an alcoholic, crack addict, and, well, poly-substance abuser. We have encouraged him to get help, we have arranged for him to go to rehab (which he went and still drank again afterward), we have made appointments for him to see the best addictions counselor in our town (for which he failed to appear), and he has attended Intensive Outpatient Therapy to no avail. He absolutely knows how much we fear for his life and his health. We tell him every chance we have how much we love him--and yet he drinks. We hope and pray that something, someday will be his turning point.

I think our experience is sadly not uncommon in this community or among those who attend Al-Anon.

I do hope and pray that your recovery will be the example and 'lure' for your husband to seek recovery for himself.