View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
QueSera81

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I know it sounds a bit callous but since you have only 6 months invested and have no assets in common I would suggest you cut your losses now and don't even wait for the other shoe to drop.
It will get far worst before it (if it ever) gets better. Him calling you 4 times at work is only a precursor of things to come. While the relationship was new, he was probably on his best behavior and trying to hide his alcoholism but now that he knows you know and were supportive the first time, he probably will keep pushing the envelope.
Do yourself a favor and spare yourself years of misery. It can be very easy to fall into let's give him (yet) another last chance trap.
No, doesn't sound callous at all. Levelheaded and logical, but not callous.

I've pointed out that meetings would be 1) a good way to use up some free time and 2) a good way to meet new people, but he just counters with "I didn't feel comfortable." I suggested he try a meeting in a different town, but that was met with some excuse or another. I can only problem-solve so much.

I am seriously considering ending the relationship. It would be hard (I moved here just before I met him, only have a small circle of friends so far) but it's not like I've never been new somewhere before.

I am in regular contact with substance abusers through work (although it tends to be the "sicker" ones I come into contact with). Sometimes it strikes me how similar the patterns of behavior are across substances, socioeconomic classes, age, etc.