Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Squig

Red face New Here

Howdy all, new to the group. I'm a 29 year old male who has been drinking since I was 15 or so, always been a heavy drinker, but things started to get way out of control about three years ago. I had 6-7 months of great sobriety through AA, and I threw it away at a concert last summer. Instead of going back to AA I did what most drunks do- hide away from everything. I'm coming up on 24 hours since my last drink and feel as to be expected. Shaky hands, restlessness, anxiety. Basically the whole spectrum of AWS. I've been thinking about going back to AA, and I had several criticisms of the program that now in hindsight I think I was harping on in preparation for my next relapse. Tricky thing, this disease. The thing is, I live alone, am currently fighting to keep my career of nine years (right on the verge of Christmas no less) while trying to stay upbeat for my son. I'm not proud to admit that I've missed out on alot of his life thus far, and he's old enough to know something is off with me when I've been on a bender. This website is a godsend to people like me who need a distraction all by themselves in a quiet house. Depending on what time he goes to bed tonight, I might try to hit a meeting. It's good to get on here and vent to other alcoholics who know what the early stages of recovery are like. Thank you!