Thread: day 1 again
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ruby2

Toni, why are your boss and this horrible woman yelling at you at work?

I messed up at work because I drank. I drank because I messed up at work. I messed up more at work because I drank. I drank more because I messed up more at work. You can see where this is going. I was fortunate because I didn't have a yeller for a boss but I drank myself along with my messes to a different division where I work. Dealing with anyone who is abusive takes it's toll. But Hevyn is right, drinking just makes the anxiety about the situation that much worse.

Can you transfer to a different part of the company and work for a different boss? If it's a small company I'd say try looking for a different job. I know it's easy for me to say that, not understanding your situation, but I could not imagine having to work in that environment every single day, day in and day out, for the entirety of my working career. I would rather dig ditches or wash dishes than to continue in a soul crushing situation for the rest of my life.

Step back and look at the situation and honestly ask yourself if drinking is contributing to any performance issues. If not, then maybe ask the boss what the deal is. Why is he yelling. There are bully toxic bosses out there. Sometimes there is a good reason turnover at some companies is so high. There is no shame in admitting that a job isn't a good fit for you. Maybe this one just isn't.

Keep posting here. Keep reading here. Don't pick up a drink. Work on a plan for sobriety which isn't a punishment. It's a choice to have a happy life without being a slave to alcohol and limiting yourself in your choices because you are a slave to alcohol.