Old 12-08-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GardenMama

If recovering addicts have P.A.W.S., what do we have??

We talked a bit about PAWS at my NarAnon meeting the other night. (Here's the Wikipedia definition: Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

I do not mean to sound flippant, or take for granted the fact that my daughter is 5 months sober this weekend, but I have to say, the interpersonal backlog of emotions on her part and then by interaction, with the rest of the family, is intense! It is as if she has just landed on planet earth and is seeing my husband for the first time. He has been through so much with her (we met when she was 14 and just on her way to addiction) and has tolerated SO MUCH on behalf of our relationship, been willing to grow and change and accept her, but he is threadbare when it comes to her now. And I completely understand both of them! There's no fighting, just tension. She thinking and saying things to me, and him the same. I am doing my best to stay detached and keep my relationship focused independently, letting them figure out what they will-if they do-and yet, wow. I am exhausted even in the act of detaching! It is hard work!

I just needed to vent, to ask if anyone else in my shoes has dealt with the barrage of emotional ups and downs and interpersonal sticky-ness that comes with a recovering addict...sympathy accepted as well.

Here's how I feel right now: (At home, not here on SR!)