Old 12-08-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
redatlanta

Originally Posted by ShootingStar1 View Post
Liz, I hate to say this but I think that the reality is that his job longevity is tanking and it is likely that there will be little or no income for him or from him in the near future. It is unlikely, especially given his binges on company trips, that he is still a valued employee. The cat is out of the bag about his alcoholism. Companies don't carry sales people who don't perform very long.

It would be safest to count on NO money from him, and to get out of this as fast as you can while he still appears to have some assets. But even then, if he loses his job, he won't have any assets no matter what child support/alimony is required of him.

I don't understand why, since you were married to him when his parent(s) died, his inheritance is not considered marital assets. Maybe it is state law in your state?

There is an old saying that people in denial "are just moving the deck chairs around on the Titantic", and I'd rather see you jump into a life boat as soon as you can. Given what you've said here, I just don't get a good feeling about how rapidly this whole thing could unravel.

ShootingStar1
In my State for sure its not considered as part of marital assets. There can be exception to this if the funds are commingled with actual marital assets - such as if a sum of inheritance is used for a down payment on the marital home it them becomes part of marital asset. Additionally if the receiving spouse puts the other spouse onto inherited accounts then yes it is a marital asset.

I agree with Shootingstar1 - I would get out of this marriage ASAP. If he becomes unemployed you are going to have issues and it looks like he is heading that way. If his parents estate is still in probate I am concerned whether you will be able to include that a possible support. If at all - I hear what your attorney said still I have an uncomfortable feeling about it.