View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
samseb5351

There is maybe an assumption made by people who stick and cling to a particular program and remain sober, that those that come in and then out are headed straight to a relapse. I remember many different groups with different agendas use to bring out AA stats of people who stay 1 year 2 years 5 years and so on, and how this number drops dramatically. Those anti AA's would use this stat.as an representation that AA does not work at the same time Vocal Big Book thumper celebs would use the same stat to say middle of the road recoverers "weren't doing it thoroughly (the 12 steps) or right". I use to be one not that long ago who felt these stats actually meant something, Today I am not so sure. Perhaps many who come into AA (or in my case GA) do get something that leads to something else and when its time leave, we land on our feet, stronger and possibly wiser. Maybe as we educate ourselves and develop rational thinking skills, we truly do "take what we need and leave the rest" perhaps (as in my case) the leave the rest is to leave the fellowship completely. I am an atheist and free thinker and a skeptic but only a few short years ago I was one of those Thumpers throwing around the spiritual scripts at others like MM's to a hungry crowd but eventually when you take things seriously as I did and try to practice Honesty at all levels including critically evaluating concepts of powerlessness, higher power and other Dogma, you start to see huge gapping holes in your own Recovery Narrative.

I study science on addiction all the time and with an open mind I feel like I know less about affective recovery today than I did 5 years ago, and when we strip away al sorts of unfounded absolutes pushed by dozens of programs, groups, book writers, recovery centers and even some health professionals there is way more questions than answers.
Today I am even open to ideas that the word addiction is actually a non specific label, that doesn't really describe anything.
Anyway those who maybe are loosening the grip on any dogmatic program, try not to fall prey to the false narrative that is built in to that program that you are ripe for relapse. It is just as likely that you are heading for a more rational approach and strengthening your sobriety.