View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ionray

I am somewhat in the same boat, spent a year of sobriety in AA, worked the steps with a sponsor, had success and feel confident and secure in my sobriety today. The absolutism and cultish nature of AA started to bother me, and began to feel like going to meetings several times a week was more of a chore than actually helping me. I started asking questions about other approaches like AVRT and whether all the meetings were really necessary. You can imagine the kinds of answers I got in AA. I no longer feel that my sanity and sobriety are contingent on how many meetings I attend.

I read Rational Recovery with great interest, and have been applying the principles of AVRT for a few months, dropped AA activity altogether. I don't agree with everything in RR, especially how much it bashes AA, but it is very refreshing to drop the disease/powerless model and venture forth and get on with my life, identifying myself only as a person who doesn't drink.

I haven't had "the talk" with my sponsor or anyone in AA to let them know where I'm at with this, because I know what the response will be. My sponsor is a big book thumper, and he and others I know will shake their heads in disapproval, and declare that I am trying to take back control, am giving in to "the disease" and am destined for relapse. To them, AA is the ONLY solution, but I feel that recovery from addiction is not "one size fits all" and AVRT is working for me. I travel for work and have had many opportunities to drink but I am committed to lifetime sobriety and have felt not so much as an urge.

I know I owe my sponsor "the talk" to let him know where I am with this, but I imagine the conversation could get a little uncomfortable.

The only person I have shared this with is my wife, and she is supportive and glad actually that I am home more and not constantly running off to meetings. My sponsor and I have kids at the same school. The other night the kids did a musical performance, where his daughter was a soloist. As soon as she was done with her solo, he snuck out of the concert, right in the middle of it, to get to a meeting. I turned to my wife and said, "See? This is what I'm talking about. I don't want to have to live that way."

And I'm finding that I don't.