View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HeartsAfire

Who says sobriety has to be boring

Yesterday after hubby & I dropped off the kids at their father's house we realized we had NOTHING to do. The house was clean, the laundry in process, bills paid and the fridge stocked with leftovers which meant we were footloose & fancy free. I casually mentioned that a certain sandwich at a quaint little general store in the Hill Country sounded scrumptious. He looked at me and smiled and the next thing we know, we're headed on a spontaneous road trip for lunch - 2 1/2 hours away! Believe me when I tell you it was the MOST delicious sandwich I have had in ages!

It wasn't just the sandwich though. It was the conversations, the laughs, the singing old 70's & 80's rock songs at the top of our lungs, the air guitar contests, the overall feeling that I don't have a care in the world that made it a perfect day. We stopped wherever we wanted to stop (a chocolatier, funky shop, a dried-up river bed, a scenic overlook) and spent as much (or as little) time as we wanted. There was no worry about if the sandwich shop served beer and how many I could pound before we had to go, wondering what kind of wine would go best with the chocolate we bought, the panic of needing to get home so that I could start my drinking, clock-watching the day away. We took pictures at each stop and much to my surprise I have a genuine smile in each one. So does my husband.

On the way home I told him that this is the way I want to live our lives. I want to be spontaneous when we can and belly laugh at life. He grabbed my hand and told me how much he loves the new me. He said he knew I was in there all along and is so glad I've come back out to play. I am so very, very blessed.

I just wanted to let those struggling know that life does get better when you stop drinking - in ways you can never imagine if you remain stuck. I know I couldn't as long as I was stuck on the binge drinking/pretend recovery merry-go-round. Take a leap of faith and trust the rest of us that the water is fine & fun out here is Soberville.

I know others of you have similar stories to mine. Please. Share.