View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2muchpain

Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post
Something i've been curious about for years.

How does A-1 quality care feel like? I always read about pretty much everyone here going into rehab centers and to be totally honest, i'm quite envious. Must be nice to be in a comfy secure area where your problems are the subject of much medical assistance and expertise. Same for the sessions with the psych docs that are always mentioned here. They seem to be such nice affairs, being able to unburden yourself to someone who is a sympathetic listener and is trained professional to boot. Then having help in readjusting your mind in a better direction? It must be a quite a time. The Meds are also just perfect. Handy, convenient, brain chemistry alteration courtesy of a priceless doctor's subscription. One has to love those pills of joy.

As i mentioned above, i'm curious about what that all feels like?. How does it feel to have actual support and tools to aid in one's recovery? The times in the past i've dealt with community mental health were always a massive case of sheer disappointment at dealing with inept hacks and just being constantly ignored and left to rot on on'e own. I've always wondered what's it like to be really cared for.

If you all don't mind, can you describe what what is felt in such a situation?
Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't use the word "comfy" to describe my experiences in rehab. At one rehab, there were a lot of people that were/are hard-core criminals, either sent there through the legal system, or they were hiding out. Prison mentality was pretty much the norm of the day. The last one I went to was a nightmare. It took an act of god to get a nurse to get off her duff to do anything. I walked around in the same clothes for a week because the nurses, etc., wouldn't take the time to at least give me a gown. I had no soap, toothpaste, deodorant or shampoo. I stunk so bad it was unreal. No caring people to be found. People getting high there all the time. And this was a private rehab center, not low end.
So, the idea of people working in rehab centers just waiting in line to help you in any way they can, ready to listen to your problems, fluff your pillow and do everything they can to make you comfy probably only exists in the very expensive rehab centers on a beach somewhere.