View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
GroundhogDay

Originally Posted by Kensho View Post
By the way, Ground Hog Day is one of my favorite films of all time—not just the great comedy, but because it expresses some deep philosophy (which Murray knew, I think): The chronic nihilist (Murray) gets stuck in the “eternal recurrence of the same”, panics, then falls prey to acute nihilism (e.g., the suicide attempts), and ego inflation (“I’m god—well, not the god, but a god”), then finds amor fati—“love of fate”, the ability to embrace his fate, and pursue a flourishing life anyway . . . That’s part of it, anyway.

So, your avatar makes me think: maybe part of my “eternal recurrence” is alcoholism—both the drinking itself, and whatever are the underlying causes: neurology, psychology, etc. And the AA 1st Step is just about my acknowledging and embracing that “fate”, and perhaps that very fate—unwanted to be sure—is what might lead me to a more flourishing life (in sobriety) than I might have had otherwise. It certainly is making me dig deeper into my own spiritual path.
I have been digger deeper into my own spiritual path for the past year--ever since I experienced a life-threatening illness (not alcohol-related). I went to a very dark place for a while, and since late January, had trouble caring if I was drinking too much or not. However, I recently emerged in a good place spiritually. Hence, my decision to pursue a goal of abstinence again.

It has been a little scary, though. Some of my views on religion/spirituality have shifted radically, and some I haven't sorted out yet.