View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
GroundhogDay

Originally Posted by Kensho View Post
Don’t beat up on yourself. I had it pretty easy: we had dinner at my wife’s daughter’s place, and no one was drinking (maybe partly for my benefit). Had I had 1 ½ glasses of wine, I would have had a lot more on top of it. I’m not saying that means you can do that makes it safe for you (only you know that); just saying it could’ve been worse—and for me, would have been.
Yeah, part of the problem is that I am not beating myself up for it. I think that I drank appropriately yesterday. 1.5 glasses of wine over the course of a large meal that lasts a couple of hours is "normal." I just don't want for it to lead to me thinking "oh, I can moderate like that any time I want."

The reality is that I was splitting the bottle with two other people. If I had been drinking it all by myself, I would have finished it and felt hungover today. When I start drinking bottles of wine by myself routinely, my GI tract gets upset and my brain gets foggy.

And, of course, who knows where it could lead? Alcohol abuse is progressive...two bottles of wine per day, then on to vodka...physical dependency...loss of my marriage and home.

Alcohol is dangerous.