View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hopeful4

Hi Flavia. I can tell you what I did. We went through and negotiated every single thing, I typed it up, had it notorized, and hired an attorney to file for us. The attorney was officially repping me (because I am the one who paid b/c this is how I wanted it done). I gave the attorney the docs and had him file it all for me. We did have to change judges b/c I had stuff in there the judge assigned would not approve even though we both agreed to the terms. My X had to sign a waiver about not having an attorney. My attorney filed that with our divorce papers.

So, we did the hardest part ourselves, which was to negotiate the terms out ourselves. That saved us a ton of money. The entire thing cost a little less than $500, which included the filing fee with the state which was $160. I know my attorney so he gave me a bit of a price break, but I also had quotes from an attorney I don't know who was going to do it all for $700. I paid half up front, and I paid the other half once he actually filed.