View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
The belief that I somehow had my drinking under control was the falsehood. Admitting that yeah, I had to quit entirely is the thing I didn't want to see.
The "old me" had one hell of a time grasping that truth as well. I remember going to get assessed for my drinking problem before rehab.

The professional expert who spoke with me presented his findings: He said I was in denial. He said my plan was flawed, and that rehab was perhaps the only thing that could save me at this point....upon hearing that, I immediately assumed that he was somehow being paid off by the rehab clinic in order to gain clients. I felt he was a very simple creature who could not understand more intelligent folks like myself. I thought, perhaps, one of my friends had called him up before our meeting and told him to say those things, just to scare me straight. Not once did I bother to listen to his findings, nor did I have the slightest doubt that he was dead wrong.

Now that's all kinds of crazy - but those were my initial thoughts! I had never, ever considered that I could have been an alcoholic. That truth just didn't exist in my brain.