View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Just to give a bit of background, for me it has been the cornerstone of my Sobriety and recovery to the present day.

I spent so long going round and round in circles, and you know why? because I was trying to do it on my own strength, my own willpower, my sheer resistance to drinking, and guess what? I failed over and over, why? because my mind was addicted to alcohol and I was relying on that addicted mind to somehow not want to drink, it was madness when I look at it in hindsight, but there I was trying not to drink and my own mind eventually would grind me down in isolation and I would continue to drink after a few days or weeks.

I therefore needed something outside of myself, it makes so much sense now, something to override my addictive mind that naturally wanted to drink, a second opinion on the matter, something to get me to think, "oh right, there's another way" or "that might not be such a good idea", having support to talk me out of what my mind wanted to do was when the penny finally dropped!!

Basically I guess we need to stop listening to our addiction and what it is telling us to do and start listening to those that have been there, got the t-shirt and have achieved some long term results!!

Our mind wants us to drink, it is addicted to alcohol and so naturally it is going to lead us back to drinking if it is allowed a free reign on our decision making, instead we need to get some advice on the matter, a second opinion before throwing our Sobriety away!!

SR is a fantastic place for that 24/7!!
For me this is exactly what has worked thus far. From a business analogy, I needed to find and exploit resources that could add value to a bankrupt plan. I had to set aside my pride ( that was tough) and say "I don't got this."

I have found that in group meetings and SR. My challenge is still that ego that thinks I know more than I do. I suppose as long as it's recognized in this manner there is still progression.

I have learned there are a lot of smart people in the world, some of them are sober - those are the ones I choose to surround myself with today. I look for actions and behaviors that mimic spouted values and beliefs.