View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I would expect that I would meet some who recover without AA through detox simply because they have to detox.

I'll use the AMA guideline of stable recovery being minimum of five years continuous abstinence.

Are you suggesting that 75% of chronic alcoholics recover on their own? Where do you get such a statistic? Have you met them all? Why would there be any need at all for AA?

Once again, I accept large numbers of problem drinkers get well on their own, the experts tell me that. Perhaps you can tell me where I would find all these self recovered types. As far as I know they don't advertise. To date I have not met a single one.
You seem to be using your inability to find people in detox with 5 years of sobriety as proof that people don't recover on their own from alcoholism. That seems to be an odd criterion to base your position on.

I am not suggesting that 75% number, I am quoting from a long term study done by the US government. The results are published by the NIAAA

Self-recovered types can be found everywhere. Everywhere except AA meetings and detox centres.