View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

How does a discovery motion make anything worse? All a discovery motion does is to require him to provide information you are entitled to. What is he hiding that he doesn't want you to know?

I'm a lawyer, myself, and I did most of the work myself, on both of my divorces. I did have a lawyer review the paperwork for the divorce from my first husband because we have kids together. It can be done if your situation is very uncomplicated.

The biggest risk is that you may give up something you need and that you are entitled to. Or that the paperwork will be done incorrectly and leave things out that really need to be in there.

If your situation is uncomplicated, and you are SURE you have all the relevant information (the fact that he doesn't want to respond to a discovery motion makes me a little suspicious about that), you could work out the details and simply ask a lawyer to draft the final agreement. That can save a LOT on fees.

Consult a lawyer before you start, just to make sure you know what you might be entitled to, and have one look over the final paperwork if you want to be on the safe side.