View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Serenidad

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Drinking isn't a coping mechanism of course, it's actually the opposite. Have you ever considered seeing a counselor to see if there are any therapies or perhaps even prescribed meds that could help you learn to cope with these situations better? All the ones that you list are pretty much part of everyone's life to some extent, regardless of whether they are an addict. Meditation, mindfulness, exercise, relaxation techniques, etc....all are ways to help reduce stress/anxiety as well.
Yes Scott, I saw a counselor for many many years (and will probably go back eventually to work on some other things) and am on meds for anxiety. I was just looking to see if there were any "new" tips that maybe I haven't tried. I just really want to stay sober so I am asking a lot of questions.

I had something happen this morning that made me very angry. A guy in a truck almost ran me off the freeway and then was road raging me big time for like 10 minutes. I couldn't get away from him! It scared me and made me very angry. The first thought that went thru my mind is "I need F-ing drink! Screw you ******* in the truck...I'll hurt ME!" :-(

Anyway...I did not drink over it....and I'm better now but for 10 minutes I was seriously considering it. Sounds stupid...I know. Basically I am telling on my disease right now! My disease will use any excuse....