View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turned out it was for me...

I sought out SR because of a friend of mine with an AGF. At the time I joined she was actively drinking and his life was nightmarish. I wanted to learn more about alcoholism and possibly help him.

They just had a baby. She's been sober about 6 months but she tested positive for marijuana and so did the baby, at birth, so there is a CPS case open. My friend uses weed heavily and is a huge supporter of it.

Anyway - although my friend is not an alcoholic he sure does have a lot of addict personality traits. He is self-centered, only sees his own point of view and has a victim mentality. He has a HUGE chip on his shoulder and can't be reasoned with. I learned these are alcoholic-like traits on SR.

Now, of course he has good points too, like anyone, and we were pretty close for over six years.

The more I read on SR, the more I saw how much of an addict he is in his behavior and attitudes. (Maybe an actual marijuana addict? I don't know.) I saw how I made excuses for him and enabled him to stay with his abusive AGF by being there to pick up the emotional pieces, giving him a shoulder to cry on, listening to him (literally) cry when she tormented him, taking him to the dentist when she knocked a tooth out. I kept some of his belongings in my house for months after she threw them around and broke glass into them.

Our relationship became more and more sick. We argued a lot. I couldn't stand his persecution complex. I gave and he took. (I'm sure he would not see it like that.)

Last week I ended the relationship. It's been coming a long time. I particularly couldn't stand that he called CPS "nasty assholes" rather than agreeing it's pretty d*amn nasty that his newborn had weed in his system!

So... thanks SR. I started out thinking I'd help him to end a toxic relationship but ended up helping myself.