View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
foolsgold66

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
FG, my friend, I disagree. If solid research can help build better understanding of alcoholism and addiction, I think that's a step in the right direction. I'm not well-versed enough to know whether this particular study was good, although it's getting a lot of coverage. Notably, another poster -- one whose opinion I respect, as I do yours -- took issue with the methodology on the other thread in which it was discussed.

Perhaps, though, the keenest insight came from "Weekend Update" on SNL just a few minutes ago. The "anchor" said -- and I may not have this down verbatim, but I'm close -- that the study found "heavy drinkers can quit whenever they want. Which is what every alcoholic says."

While it was meant to get laughs, the truth in that observation tends to validate that we need to better understand drinking and addiction.
Methodology? Research? Did you read the article? You need not be well-versed in science to know that tallying self-reported data is not science. It's taking a poll. 5-year olds can take a poll. I'm all for actual research, but this isn't.

Can you imagine the Internal Revenue Service doing a study involving self-reported data? Headline: 99.9% of taxpayers don't cheat on their taxes!

Sigh. Sorry, I don't see how this crap helps anyone.