View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Lusher
Living Sober

First, I wanted to say thanks for all of the replies, as well as the informative links. Some of the replies caused me to re-think about how I’m really feeling, and why.

I wanted to re-post just to address some of what I've read, as well as to perhaps clarify a couple of things.

I did not mean to indicate that I was bored, per se. I just don’t have the excitement for the upcoming weekends or nights out that I once did.

Since I stopped drinking, I have taken up a very active lifestyle, which includes a lot of cardio activity most days of the week. I was actually very active even beforehand, but more so now that my body is no longer being beat up due to booze. I also have other interests as well, so I'm not really just sitting around wanting to drink, nor am I at home, always thinking about drinking.

I suppose what I am missing is more of the 'reward' or excitement of a night out at the end of the day, or at the end of the week. Up until 15 months ago, that meant a night out with drinks- be it at dinner or at my local haunt. Something I use to really look forward to.

I had my local pub, where there was always 'the gang' to share the day's events with. I had my local Mexican joint, where my girl and I would enjoy the margs on the outside patio a couple of times a week. Things of that nature.

Now that I’ve stopped, those nights out just don't seem too exciting anymore. I know I can still do them, minus the booze, but it’s just not the same. Also, when I used the term "excitement," I guess I meant exciting for me, which is not all that exciting really.

Maybe it is my age as well, as I read. I am 51, so I can appreciate that I may have outgrown some of it as well.

I am still growing though. I mentioned a while back in post how I now 'treat' myself to a smoothie at a nice eatery where I live a couple of times a week, which is something I would have laughed at not too long ago. I have also began studying nutrition more, as well has teaching myself various cooking methods. This seems to help fill the void of when I use to drink.

All in all, I’m actually pretty happy and fairly fulfilled for the most part. I’m just missing a big part of my former social life, which I hope will change as I continue to evolve.

Anyhow, thanks for allowing to whine a bit, and thanks again for the responses. I also wanted to wish everybody a great <sober> weekend.

Lusher