View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
snowbunting

You have a lot more sober time than me so feel free to ignore this, but what to you do at the weekends now? Do you actively plan events or activities that *would* give you something to look forward to? Have you replaced alcohol with something positive, or have you just stopped alcohol?

I feel that I look forward to things more now that I'm sober - I will plan to climb a new mountain at the weekend, or attend a fayre at a local castle, or buy a tree for the garden, or just some small thing like 'tonight I'm going to start that book / watch that film I've wanted to read / watch for years', or 'omg I'm going to get a kitten in a few months and I'm totally buying its first collar today!' or 'let's see what happens if I put twice as much cayenne pepper in these tacos!'

When you're sober you don't have to worry about whether you'll feel up to things, so you're free to plan *anything*, and the excitement I feel when I do so is innocent and genuine. Granted, it's totally different from the wired sort of sharp excitement I'd feel at the prospect of getting drunk. But that kind of feeling is not one I want back, because I prefer this other kind.