View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
gleefan

Carlos - That was a powerful message. Thanks for sharing it with us.

My favorite AA meeting is Monday nights. I wasn't going to go - I've had a headache for the better part of the afternoon - but one of my besties talked me into it. I'm glad I went. Tonight's meeting on the 12th step was like an extension of the conversation we had - about the peace and serenity and joy that comes when we shed our old, dysfunctional, egocentric thinking patterns along with our drinking. As folks were talking about their need to act like the #1 person it reminded me of how I felt the need to be The Best at everything I did, too - often times at the expense of the big picture.

As one of the AA's said, "I didn't realize I had problems til you were talking about your problems and I said, 'I thought everyone did that. You mean, that's not normal?'" He could laugh at himself. I'm learning how to not be so mad at myself for the years I wasted orienting my life towards anger and ego. It's kind of like the tiny Budda advice: "14. Don’t try to change someone—love who they are now." It sure can be hard for us to find that kindness and patience for ourselves.

I am grateful I decided to take my dear friend's advice to go to the meeting tonight. And I'm not going to be missing many of them in the coming weeks because I took on a 3 month coffee commitment.

DP - good seeing you. I'm sorry that you're feeling wistful for alcohol, but glad that good sense prevailed.

Sparky - Glad you are feeling some well deserved peace and joy in sobriety.

Have a good night, Undies.