Thread: Parent enablers
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
merrygoround1

Originally Posted by Alaskachick View Post
LadyinBC is spot on. His parents are currently “keeping him sober and in line”. This is a parent and child relationship; however you don’t want to be his parent, you want to be his partner. It’s not your responsibility to keep him sober nor is it his parent’s responsibility. As a mother I understand the urge to protect your child from the consequences of their behavior, but I’ve also learned that it's not always in their best interest to do so. As LadyinBC said they can’t do this forever.
I understand and definitely don't want to be in that roll. They lash out at me...probably because now they have to worry about him and rush in to help. "Someone has to"

I remember his dad once said I needed to move back in. That he needed someone to help him laugh and see the joy in life. When I said I needed to see sobriety...and he could tell I was serious...the dad replied with out skipping a beat, do you think we should get a nurse?
No connection in his mind that they are babysitters, a nurse is a medical babysitter, and he wants me to be a comic babysitter

They don't talk to me anymore. I do wonder how long they can keep it up. They are older. I do care about them. But I am just trying to get away from their merry go round. And I see it from a few miles away. Wow round and round they go and I am exhausted by them. Resetting everything groceries, shopping, eating right, go to bed on time..etc. until next time.