View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SeriousKarma

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Thanks guys.

You know, Lizatola, I don't know if it was so much that I was "strong" at that moment as much as "clear sighted". (Though I still kind of like being thought of as strong)

After years, and years, and years of the same repeated pattern I just didn't want to hop on that Crazy Train again with him. He had not been drinking for months, but that was his pattern. He could go long stretches without, and I would be lulled into a kind of fantasy world of my own thinking that everything was ok. Even though I knew he wasn't being proactive in terms of working a program of recovery.

The difference this time was that I had been working my own recovery. Even though he was theoretically dry I continued working on myself. It was like an investment, and the payoff was that day a year ago. That's why I'm always preaching "use the calm time to work on yourself." Because I've seen how I personally benefitted.

Full disclosure here: A day or so later, after he had sobered up, I screamed bloody murder at him over the phone. So it's not like I'm some sort of Zen Princess, no matter how much I'd like to pretend I am.