Thread: Over-sharing?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NightNDay

Over-sharing?

I'm sorry for another thread. I am so new to this and so confused on so many levels. One thing I'm having a problem with is over-sharing. Now that I am finally in AA and enjoying it (as opposed to the times in the past when I did AA and felt like it was some sort of "punishment" or "chore") I feel like I want to shout it from the rooftops. I also feel like I want to tell anyone and everyone that I'm truly committed to getting better and dealing with my alcoholism.

My sponsor has advised me to be careful with who I tell and how. I see the wisdom in that, and I know that she is right.

My question is this: Who did you tell when you were newly sober? Your doctor? Your family? Your employer? Your friends? I have thus far only told one close friend and a few family members. I have also told my doctor. Yet, there's a part of me that feels such a relief that I just want to tell everyone. On the one hand, that could be good for my accountability. On the other hand, I'm feeling this tendency to over-share. Even when I've told a few family members I've found myself babbling on and on about the steps and about my sponsor and how much I love the new group I'm in. It's nice to finally stop lying and hiding -- but I don't need to go to the other extreme and tell everyone everything.

Did you all keep it off your Facebook? I saw a thread about that the other day -- someone was asking about posting about their 30 days on Facebook and they got a lot of feedback to not do it. That feedback was very good, and helped me keep from making a status update announcing I was in AA. (I don't know why I suddenly wanted to do this; I just feel like I'm bursting at the seems with happiness at being sober.)

How do I bite my tongue and stop myself from telling everyone? And WHY on earth do I even WANT to do this?